De Zordo, Silvia, Joanna Mishtal, and Lorena Anton (Eds). 2016. A Fragmented Landscape: Abortion Governance and Associated Protest Logics in Postwar Europe. Berghahn Books: Oxford and New York. In: Protest Culture & Society Series.
Mishtal, Joanna. 2015. The Politics of Morality: The Church, the State and Reproductive Rights in Postsocialist Poland. Ohio University Press.
— Winner of the Adele E. Clarke Book Award 2017
Journal Special Issues
- Mattalucci, Claudia, Joanna Mishtal, and Silvia De Zordo (Editors). 2018. “Emerging Contestations of Abortion Rights: New Hierarchies, Political Strategies, and Discourses at the Intersection of Rights, Health, and Law.” Antropologia, 5(2):1-136.
- Mishtal, Joanna, and Magdalena Radkowska-Walkowicz (Editors). 2016. “Between Policy and Practice: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Assisted Reproductive Technologies and Equitable Access to Health Care.” Reproductive Biomedicine & Society Vol. 3, March.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals (selected)
- Taliaferro, Lindsay A., Joanna Mishtal, Veenod L. Chulani, Tiernan C. Middleton, Meagan Acevedo, Marla E. Eisenberg. 2021. “Perspectives on inadequate preparation and training priorities for physicians working with sexual minority youth.” International Journal of Medical Education 12:186-194.
- Zanini, Giulia., Joanna Mishtal, Silvia De Zordo, Ann-Katherine Ziegler, and Caitlin Gerdts. 2021. “Abortion information governance and women’s travels across European borders.” Women’s Studies International Forum 87:1-8.
- De Zordo, Silvia, Giulia Zanini, Joanna Mishtal, Camille Garnsey, Ann-Kathrin Ziegler, Caitlin Gerdts. 2020. “Gestational Age Limits for Abortion: Failed Laws and Cross-Border Reproductive Care.” BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, first published online on September 25, 2020.
- De Zordo, Silvia, Joanna Mishtal, Giulia Zanini, Caitlin Gerdts. “Consequences of Gestational Age Limits for People Needing Abortion Care during the COVID-19 Pandemic.” Sexual and Reproductive Health Matters 28(1)
- Mishtal, Joanna. “As Church-State Relations Cool, Reproductive Rights Expand.” Special Forum: 2020. “Making Abortion Legal in Ireland: A Forum on Gender and Democracy Today,” T. Strong, and E. Drążkiewicz (eds.) Social Anthropology 28(3):561-584. (Invited)
- Mishtal, Joanna, Silvia De Zordo, Irene Capelli, Anastasia Martino, Laura Rahm, Giulia Zanini. 2020. “Political (in)action in abortion governance during COVID-19 in Europe: a call for a harmonized EU response during public health crises.” Special Collection: “COVID-19 and Sexual and Reproductive Health/ Maternal and Newborn Health,” E. Varley, and A. Strong (eds.) Medical Anthropology Quarterly, first published online on June 20, 2020.
- Taliaferro, Lindsay, Joanna Mishtal, Veenod L. Chulani, Meagan Acevedo, Tiernan C. Middleton, and Marla E. Eisenberg. 2019. “Communicating Effectively with Sexual Minority Youth: Perspectives of Young Adults and Healthcare Providers.” Acta Scientific Paediatrics 2(10):32-39
- Mishtal, Joanna. 2019. “Reproductive Governance and the (Re)definition of Human Rights in Poland.” Medical Anthropology: Cross-Cultural Studies in Health and Illness 38(2):182-194.
- Mattalucci, Claudia, Joanna Mishtal, and Silvia De Zordo. 2018. “Introduction: Emerging Contestations of Abortion Rights: New Hierarchies, Political Strategies, and Discourses at the Intersection of Rights, Health, and Law.” Antropologia, 5(2):7-12.
- Mishtal, Joanna. 2018. “Mobilisation, Protest, and Resistance Against Reproductive Rights Restrictions in Poland.” Antropologia, 5(2):33-54.
- Mishtal, Joanna, and Magdalena Radkowska-Walkowicz. 2017. “Introduction: Between Policy and Practice – Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Assisted Reproductive Technologies and Equitable Access to Health Care.” Reproductive Biomedicine & Society, Vol. 3, March
- Mishtal, Joanna. 2016. “Emigration, Exile, and Return: Conducting Anthropological Research in Poland.” Lud Journal – the 100th Year Jubilee Volume, 100:113-122.
- Andaya, Elise, and Joanna Mishtal. 2016. “The Erosion of Rights to Abortion Care in the United States: A Call for a Renewed Anthropological Engagement with the Politics of Abortion.” Medical Anthropology Quarterly, 30(3):40-59.
- Gerdts, Caitlin, Silvia De Zordo, Joanna Mishtal, Jill Barr-Walker, Patricia Lohr. 2016. “Experiences of Women Who Travel to England for Abortions: An Exploratory Pilot Study.” European Journal of Contraception and Reproductive Health 21(5):41-47.
- Mishtal, Joanna. 2009. “Understanding Low Fertility in Poland: Demographic Consequences of Gendered Discrimination in Employment and Postsocialist Neoliberal Restructuring.” Etnografia Polska 58(1-2):175-189.
- Mishtal, Joanna. 2014. “Reproductive Governance in the New Europe: Competing Visions of Morality, Sovereignty, and Supranational Policy,” In Special Issue: “Culture, Power and Policymaking in the European Union,” Anthropological Journal of European Cultures, 23(1):59-76.
- Mishtal, Joanna. 2016. “Irrational non-reproduction? The ‘dying nation’ and the postsocialist logics of declining motherhood in Poland.” In Reproduction & Biopolitics: Ethnographies of Governance, “Irrationality” and Resistance, edited by Silvia De Zordo and Milena Marchesi. 15-34. Oxford: Routledge Press. (Reprint)
- Mishtal, Joanna. 2012. “Irrational non-reproduction? The ‘dying nation’ and the postsocialist logics of declining motherhood in Poland,” In Special Issue: “‘Irrational’ Reproduction: Population Politics and Practices at the Intersection of North and South,” Anthropology & Medicine, 19(2):153-169.
- De Zordo, Silvia, and Joanna Mishtal. 2011. “Physicians and Abortion: Provision, Political Participation and Conflicts on the Ground in Brazil and Poland.” Women’s Health Issues 21(3S):32-36.
- Gipson, Jessica, Davida Becker, Joanna Mishtal, and Alison Norris. 2011. “Conducting Collaborative Abortion Research in International Settings.” Women’s Health Issues 21(3S):58-62.
- Mishtal, Joanna. 2010. “The Challenges of Reproductive Healthcare: Neoliberal Reforms and Privatisation in Poland.” Reproductive Health Matters 18(36):56–66.
- Mishtal, Joanna, and Rachel Dannefer. 2010. “Reconciling Religious Identity and Reproductive Practices: The Church and Contraception in Poland.” European Journal of Contraception and Reproductive Health 15:232–242.
- Mishtal, Joanna Z. 2009. “Understanding Low Fertility in Poland: Demographic Consequences of Postsocialist Neoliberal Restructuring.” Demographic Research 21(20):599-626.
- Mishtal, Joanna Z. 2009. “How the Church Became the State: The Catholic Regime and Reproductive Rights and Policies in Poland.” In Gender Politics and Everyday Life in State Socialist Eastern and Central Europe, edited by Jill Massino and Shana Penn. 133-150. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Mishtal, Joanna Z. 2009. “Matters of ‘Conscience’: The Politics of Reproductive Health and Rights in Poland.” Medical Anthropology Quarterly 23(2):161-183.